Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day One by Jim Greer

Getting settled: Much of the talk of this first full day, was where can one go for a decent breakfast without paying hotel prices. And here is what's crazy about at least the Hilton - Breakfast Buffet for $21, but if you want a custom made omelet, it's $24. Who knew there was that much extra effort in omelets? I ordered off the menu (I don't much like buffets) and paid $14 for a meal too large to finish. In the meantime, I spotted two Denny's within easy driving distance and what with my senior discount, I'll be the envy of the convention.

Legislation: When I registered for the convention today, I was given a large binder with perhaps another couple of hundred draft resolutions to read (this after the infamous Blue Book arrived about a month ago. The BB is the size of a San Diego phone directory and was stuffed with earlier proposals).) So I found a cool spot near the pool and began reading. The resolutions cover the wide interest of the church: structural matters, world mission, clergy education, etc, etc - but the reader is struck by what seems like a couple of dozen resolutions on the 'sexuality' issue. Each takes a different approach and they are submitted by a variety of dioceses and individual deputies. It would seem to make sense to combine them into one and leave their initial consideration to a single legislative committee. As of this reporting, however, it appears they have been assigned to at least two different committees and perhaps more. Integrity has not yet said which of the many it prefers and when pressed for a preference, the official response is "the resolution(s) that will pass."

Shopping: I announced to other S.D. folks that I needed to make a run to a Target store about a mile away. Howard Smith, the Bishop's money man, asked me to bring back plastic cups for the S.D. hospitality suite. Well, it was a trauma - the Episcopalians have hit town and finding plastic bar cups was no easy task. Target and two liquor stores later I managed to yield up enough supply that I felt I could go back to the hotel with honor.

Meeting people: On my morning walk, I met Lucy from Atlanta - a central casting version of a southern Christian lady. I don't know why, but we talked about living in the south before AC. And later while responding to a request to take a picture of two folks from North Carolina, Steve from Milwaukee came along and we became a production team of two while the poor couple from NC just kept moving about to our directions. Steve and I then reminisced about Milwaukee's famed Hotel Pfizter. In mid-afternoon I rode down the elevator with Sarah from western Kansas and we laughed about the drive west on I-70 from Manhattan through the prairie. Perhaps most interesting of all was the clerk in the liquor store who replied when I asked him if he had the big bottle of Dewar's, "no,no, too much money." It was clear from my further questioning that the even the 1 liter size was probably not sold often. I noticed he had lots of pints on the shelf.

Dinner with the Bishop: Bishop Mathes hosted the S.D, deputation to dinner, a noisy, happy affair. We then retired to his suite for more serious talk about the convention agenda. As with everything today, it's about the budget and money. The staff proposed budget is probably not creditable - what are we going to do about it? We certainly can't look to Sacramento for examples of fiscal leadership.

--Jim Greer

1 comment: